Eastleigh is a vibrant neighborhood of Nairobi, located 10km from the central business district. It is also called ‘little Mogadishu’ due to its large Somali immigrant population. It has a population of over 400,000.
Major security challenges are:
- gun related crime
- organized gangs
- gun trade
- illegal immigration
- drugs trade and substance abuse
Partners in Eastleigh:
Police, provincial administration, education sector, health facility, International Justice Mission, Kituo cha sharia (NGO), Fight for peace international (sports), Eastleigh business association
- The members of the safety forum have acted to share information and ideas that has led to the cooling of tension between the boda operators, criminals and police.
- Former gang members have been engaged in the safety forum and activities
- developed a framework that has resulted in police and community being able to work together to reduce crime
- established a women safety volunteer program, support group among women whose children are involved in crime
- managed to bring on board commercial sex worker, which expands the scoop of information gathering in the area